Wednesday, October 22, 2008

arthistory=headaches!

This is my second year at the university of michigan dearborn and i found that things seem to get easier. That is i have learned to get the hang of the whole college experience, it seems like i know what to expect now. the work doesnt seem to get easier though.
So this semester i thought i knew what i was getting myself into i wasnt to worried about it until i steped foot into Arthistory!!! my exerience in this class has been terrible! its sad to say but this class is the class thats stressing me the most. mind you art history has nothing to do with my major and im only taking it to full-fil school requirements!
i hope not to offend anyone whos majoring in arthistroy but to me its such a pointless class. well at least if you arent majoring it. i just got done taking my second exam in that class this week and it didnt get any easier instead it got a whole lot harder! what good is it going to do to me in the future to know the exact dates, name, material, and findspot of ancient monuments. the history behind it all somewhat interesting and the monuments are impressive but the idea of learning those facts is timeconsuming and worthless.
my major doesnt require math or science either but see those subjects i see some use out of. i spent so much time studying for my past exams in this class more time that i ever spent on any other class. its ridiculous! memorizing facts isnt my thing. i like concpetunal stuff not just memorizing. again what am i gettting out of that. trust me once i walk out of that class on exam day i forget what day what was made and what its made of. and to make matters worse you have to spell the names correctly if not you loose points!! i can hardly pernounce any of the names let alone spell them.
for anyone whos planing on taking art history a big GOOD LUCK to you.
perhaps im exagerating things but thats just how horrible this class makes me feel. im beyond ready for it to be over with. and hope i make it thru with at least a C! yea thats pathetic to just hope for a C .
i may be exagerating things but i guess since i just got done with the exam im still stressed over it.

4 comments:

Colin LaVine said...

Sorry to hear about your situation. I also have heard negative comments about art history. I hear you need to know 10 things about a painting, and its very boring. Unless you are really really motivated to learn them, it can be a challenging course. I wish you the best of luck in the class.

Anonymous said...

My most hated subjects ... Art and History. So sorry to hear about your class. Hopefully it will get better throughout the semester!

Denise said...

i have felt your pain before! i am also in my second year, and i took art history my first semester last year. i never took as many notes in my life! haha. but what i found VERY helpful was the art history study room. i made friends with another person in class, and we would practice all the facts by writing them on the white board in there. it really helps if you have another person to share in your pain! but other than that, i left the class with only the surprising knowledge of the venus of willendorf: 28000-25000 BC?, painted? red ochre, willendorf austria... i only remember that becasue my professor made us stand up and "model" it... haha

Unknown said...

Look at the bright side -- someday you will see some of those paintings again and you will have impressive things to say about them. I took a few courses in college that were agonizing, but later I realized that I had leaned valuable information. You never know when you will be able to put art history to good use.