Wednesday, October 1, 2008

reflection

It was pretty tough coming up with the 6 slides to advocate on my immigration topic. It was hard to find exactly what i wanted to incorporate in my slides. So I pretty much just put up basic sentences to give the general meaning of what i wanted to say. when i do my presentation i will be sure to go into much more detail and try to make my point more clear. i added a couple of images to go along with my statements. one that i added was a cartoon that shows a kid saying that he hired an immigrant to do his homework. it seemed to show the typical stereotype that people have of immigrants that they all will do any job and that kinda of an ignorant view of immigrants. other images were simply people holding signs at rallys trying to defend their rights. i also incorporated an image showing the concept of diversity. because it think diversity is important it helps teach others of things outside the norm to them.
writing the paper was much easier. i got to incorporate a lot more ideas,and clarify my point. while i was working on the assignment i looked at videos regarding immigration yet they were all a little too long to post as part of my powerpoint. but those videos actually helped me learn a few things i didnt know before. and helped me put more effort into my topic.

4 comments:

Jordan Lapetz said...

i totally agree with the unfair stereotypes and all of the invalid ideas that go along with immigration. Good job learning while doing the project; I learned a lot too! i am very excited to see your powerpoint and to hear your little speech :]

Anonymous said...

I had a hard time coming up with my PowerPoint slides as well. It ended up being an outline of my project and I hope I can clarify things during my presentation. Your topic is interesting and I am excited for your presentation.

Tiffany said...

"...it seemed to show the typical stereotype that people have of immigrants that they all will do any job and that kinda of an ignorant view of immigrants."
While I do agree with you that this is an unfair stereotype for todays immigrants that has been fortified by the joblessness rampant in the country today, I think it is important to remember where there base of this stereotype lies. Back in the early 1900s, there were scores of immigrants migrating over from Europe. They flocked to big cities and competed tooth and nail for the most dangerous and menial jobs. While this phenomena is a little overemphased in books like The Jungle by Upton Sinclair (an excellent book), it showcases the desperation some immigrants felt at that time. I think, since many people were raised hearing about this type of immigrant, they automatically put the same label on them.

Ian said...

This is an important topic, one which is becoming more and more pressing as the rate of immigration to America increases. I agree that it’s sad that some people don’t hold immigrants with high respect. America is after all, full of immigrants, whether they are recent or arrived here hundreds of years ago. I hope that things got easier for you as you began working on your project. I know how hard it is to put something together like this. Good luck on your project. It’s too bad, those videos don’t fit.